Is This You?
Start Acting Like An Actual Business.
There was a time when I let everything unravel and I thought I was doing what was best for my family and my business. I truly believed I had to take every call, answer every email, stay late or start early to accommodate someone else’s schedule because I believed it was the ONLY way I was going to get their business.
I was stuck with the belief that “If I don’t say yes to every single opportunity then I will never have enough business and I will never be able to grow my business into a sustainable one to take care of my family.”
My intentions were good. My heart was in the right place – but the truth was I had never been more wrong.
This is going to sound a little harsh, but know that I’m saying it with all the love in the world because I have been there: If you want to run a business, it’s time you start acting like an actual business.
Make Your Next Move E-Book
4 Step Strategy Plan To Pivot Your Coaching Business With Ease.
Discover how to speak so much clearer to your ideal clients needs right now so you will know what to; talk about over social media, what to offer and how best to help your ideal clients.
Get off the hamster wheel
Would you ever call your dentist for an appointment and say, “Sorry…I have to work all day, can you meet me for my appointment at 8.30pm?”
NO! Of course you wouldn’t! You know why? Because those are legit businesses with legit business hours and business phone lines and…wait for it…BUSINESS BOUNDARIES!
It’s so easy to fall into the trap and feel the MUST take every call, respond to every text, answer every email because we feel like if we don’t, we will lose the business.
Let me just say to you now: Get off the hamster wheel!
It will never get better if you continue this way. I believed by taking all the calls, I was doing the best thing for my business and ultimately for my family. I wasn’t. I’d like to share with you a few steps I took to get myself off the hamster wheel and begin running an actual business.
7 Steps To Building Business Boundaries
1. Define your business hours: I wrote down my ideal work day / work week. Once I became clear on what my business hours would be, I could then set those boundaries with my clients.
2. Clear expectations: Make sure during a first meeting with a potential new client to educate them on not only what you do, but what you don’t do. If your a mum make it clear during the first meeting you’re a mum and family comes first. For me my office hours are Monday – Friday 10am – 3pm. I can be reached via email and emails will be returned within 48 business hours because quite often we are working on client work and we want to give it the same focus and attention as we give YOUR job. Guess what the response is each time I clearly and kindly explain this is? Nothing but understanding and respect. Because I’ve clearly laid out I find, to be totally honest, they are just thrilled and relieved to have someone tell them how this process is going to work.
3. Childcare: Ok – this is probably the most important thing I can say to you in this entire post…. ready?
You will never do your best work with your children running around distracting you. Decide when you can get focused time alone to work and decide that’s when you will work. I’m often amazed how much I can get done in 90 minutes when I’m completely focused to get it done.
4. Treat your home office like a corporate office. Set a start and finish to your working day
5. Set time in your day when you answer your clients. If your client’s have access to you via Voxer or messenger in the day. Set a time when you can reply to any questions in the day that suits you.
Visit my library of Light Up Your Brand Courses for coaches who want to grow a thriving business Coaching Business Success Path
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me by email on email@example.com
Let me know in the comments…Are you ready to take some action in your business?
With love and light
Coaching Business Success Magazine
This E-magazine is designed to inspire you each month with new and creative ways to grow a coaching business around you!
Workshops and courses linked within, so you can get greater and quicker results for your coaching business.